Welcome to Endleleni; Embizweni’s travel section.
Endleleni translates to ‘on the road’ in isiXhosa, and getting on the road to explore Grahamstown and the surrounding areas is exactly what the team heading up Endleleni intend to do with the section.
With Grahamstown as a starting point, Endleleni will explore, experience and review interesting and out of the ordinary attractions and activities. This is done using measurements of distance in 10km bursts to determine where and what we see and do.
This is all done in the hopes of creating an online platform that informs Grahamstown, Makana and Eastern Cape locals, as well as visitors from outside the Eastern Cape, on activities in their area that they might not have otherwise known about. We also hope to promote tourism and travel activities around the Makana area, as well as in the greater Eastern Cape.
The reviews will be personal experiences which are set to provide an informative perspective on what the area has to offer. There will be no positive or negative bias and brides are not accepted. (Note: but if someone is feeling generous and would like to bake us some cupcakes out of the goodness of their hearts and with no ulterior motives, we would gladly receive them :P)
You can find the Endleleni posts under the ‘Endleleni’ category which can be found on the home page.
Below is a list of the activities we have identified already. Please feel free to Facebook, tweet or email us with more suggestions. We would also love contributions from local readers whether the activities were amazing, average or downright abysmal.
0km from Grahamstown
- The Observatory Museum
- Egazini Memorial
- Historical city and township tour
- Miniature horse farm
5km from Grahamstown
- Settler’s Dam
- Toposcope Trail
10km from Grahamstown
20km from Grahamstown
- Two River Day Trail at Mosslands farm
- Bloukrans train river pass
- Thomas Baines Nature Reserve
30km from Grahamstown
- Chappys Cushion
- Pumba game Reserve
40km from Grahamstown
- Ziplining at Fraser’s Camp
- Kingston Farm – Appaloosa Stud, fancy restaurant, croquet, general loveliness
- Bathurst Sunday Market & Pig n Whistle
- Waters Meeting
50km from Grahamstown
- Kwantu Game Reserve to get intimate with some Elephants
- Poor man’s Game Drive
60km from Grahamstown
- Kenton-on-Sea: dune boarding, sea creature gazing
- Port Alfred: mermaid hunting, Kowie River Cruises
- Amakhala Game Reserve
- Reed valley Crocodile Farm
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve
80km from Grahamstown
- Fish River
120km from Grahamstown
- Adrenaline Addo: ziplining, canoeing
- Hogsback- fairy finding